+30 2310870670or at email@example.com
Show on map
The ancient theatre was constructed in a natural cavity of the hill in Limenas. The very first excavation took place in 1921 by a French Archaeological School. During that process, the hollowness of the rock was revealed along with the orchestra, the parodos and a part of a scene.
At the beginning of the 3rd century the forefront of the scene was built by marble and the foreground was dedicated to Dionysus. In the 1st century A.D., the theatre was used for duels. The orchestra was converted into an arena and doors shut the parodos. During that era the seats were renovated, on which many names were engraved.
Nowadays, the ancient theatre hosts the local festival of Thassos where concerts and performances take place over the year. It has a panoramic view with a capacity of 2000 viewers.